Strike Action

Letter #1:
We trust we will avoid the strike threatened by the local metal workers’ union next week. But in case we don’t, we need to have contingency plans in place.

To begin with, please handle all current orders immediately so we will have no backlog. Since management and nonunion personnel will be required to take over many functions, please let your supervisor know in which areas you feel most qualified to work. If a picket line forms in front of the building, avoid confrontation by entering through the underground parking area.

We will be working around the clock to reach a settlement so no one will suffer unduly from the strike. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you for your hard work and support.

Letter #2:
As you know, negotiations for a new telephone operators’ contract are in a critical phase. We believe we will reach an agreement before the present contract ends on February 1, but we must have a contingency plan in case talks fail.

Our first priority must be to handle emergency calls. We ask that supervisors assume this task under the direction of John Howard. The general managers will handle routine calls. Recently retired management personnel may also assist.

We will hope for the best.

Letter #3:
As you know, the teachers’ union strike threat is very real. In the event that a strike Howards occur, we request that all nonstriking school district personnel report to your positions on September 1, as if there were no strike.

In order to complete all the possible administrative and maintenance duties we will work half-days until the resolution of any teachers’ strike. We rely very heavily on the nonteaching staff. We are very confident that we can pull together in the event of a strike and keep this district ready to provide the kind of education our community’s children deserve.

Letter #4:
Negotiations are still underway regarding the threatened electrical workers’ strike. Although we hope to avoid a strike, we want to set up a contingency plan should a strike occur.

Take time today to meet today with nonunion personnel in your respective departments to discuss how you will work to keep production running smoothly. You will need to make a report at a departmental meeting tomorrow in John Howard’s office at 9:00 a.m. We will also discuss where and how personnel should enter the building should a picket line form.

We trust that with your cooperation in pooling of resources from all the departments, we can maintain enough production to service our customers adequately. Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Letter #5:
As you are aware, management of our subsidiary, the John Howard Trucking Company, has been meeting with representatives from the truckers’ union to avoid a threatened strike. In the event that negotiations break down and a strike occurs, we need a contingency plan.

We will hold a meeting for all nonunion personnel and managers at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow in the conference room. We will review the company policy regarding strikes and give further details on how we plan to ship our produce should a strike occur. We appreciate your cooperation and support at this time.